A Gazetteer of Lock and Key Makers
this gazetteer is copyright Jim Evans, 2002
JACKSON LOCK AND BRASS WORKS, WOLVERHAMPTON & LAUNCESTON, TASMANIA
David Nelson writes:
The earliest evidence of the name Jackson being associated with lock
manufacture in Wolverhampton is in 1872 when Thomas Joseph Jackson
appears in the Directory of Staffordshire as a lock maker, New
Invention, Willenhall. Francis Jackson, a son of Thomas Joseph and
Mary (nee Taylor) appears in the 1878 directory of Staffordshire at 96
Poole Street, Wolverhampton as does Thomas Joseph, still at New
Invention as lock makers.
J. JOHNSON & CO, LION WORKS, CEMETERY ROAD, WILLENHALL
ENOCH JONES, DOCTORS PIECE, WILLENHALL
Padlock makers existing in 1940 and 1953. Supplied with keys by A Hough between Feb 1946 and Nov 1948. Nothing else known.
ROBERT JONES AND CO LTD, ANN STREET, WILLENHALL
JOSEPH KAYE LTD, 84 SOUTH ACCOMMODATION ROAD, LEEDS
In 1960 were owned by the Gloucester Carriage and Wagon Co. In 1962 they were bought by Associated Fire Alarms who closed them down shortly after. But they were reopened between 1970 and 1976 and became Pickersgill Kaye Ltd. In 1997 they had stopped making mortice locks and were concentrating on electronic locks.
(Information from Maurice Hartland)
R & F KEATS, WEDNESFIELD ROAD, WILLENHALL
Run by two brothers, making mortice locks. Not Listed in 1914 Kelly Directory. Listed in 1921 Kelly’s Directory. Closed c1960. Premises later taken over by Guardian Lock c1985.
ARCHIBALD KENRICK AND SONS LTD, WEST BROMWICH
Their secondary line was builder’s hardware and, in August 1903, they spent £5000 fitting out and equipping a shop on their Smethwick site for the production of the new cylinder lock. Shortly afterwards they added an extension. The total cost was £2250 in a year when they made a loss of £900. An American mechanic was employed to supervise the venture. When Kenricks Pressed Steel No 500 Rim night latch was exhibited in 1908, at least one commentator drew a comparison with similar American articles that had long been considered unique. The American mechanic returned to the US shortly afterwards.
In 1928 Kenricks were founder members of the CLMA, formed to maintain prices.
Kenricks continued to make cylinder locks up to about 1960.
(Ref: "Kenricks in Hardware" and Alan Fellows, who is writing a history of Kenricks' buildings. 25/8/1999)
THE KENWYN MANUFACTURING CO LTD, 34 WEDNESFIELD ROAD, WILLENHALL
Run by Ken Morgan, who had taken over the family business. In this period he had a full time job as a salesman and was only doing repairs to locks and cutting replacement keys using retired locksmiths.