N-T (OLDHAM) LTD, HONEYWELL LANE, OLDHAM
The Newman Tonks
organisation started to manufacture mortice locks in 1975 when they set up a lock making
division in one of their Birmingham factories. This was later transferred to N-T
(Oldham) Ltd, Eden Works, Honeywell Lane, Oldham Lancs, (at Oldham in April 1975).
But it never produced in any quantity, mainly due to lack of expertise. It was
closed in December 1976, when the lock making division was transferred back to
Birmingham. But production never re-commenced. Newman Tonks then set up Fleet
Lock (qv) as a subsidiary of their Cartwright door closer division, in Straight Road,
OAKDEN & SONS LTD, 86-90 CURTAIN ROAD, LONDON EC2
In the 1930s to the 1960s were probably the second biggest distributor
of locks and keys etc. after Willen Key Co Ltd. From the 1970s went into decline and
eventually closed in July 2000.
JOSIAH PARKES AND SONS LTD, UNION WORKS, WILLENHALL
Read the history
of Josiah Parkes
SAMUEL PARKES & CO., PRETORIA WORKS,
||On this paperweight the company claims to be lock
manufacturers. However they did not manufacturer locks
themselves but at some time sold lock made by other people in the
This company still exists in Willenhall, as brass founders, in
New Road, almost opposite the Lock Museum.
(thanks to Dr. Joy Duff for the paperweight)
THOMAS PERRY & CO., HIGHFIELD WORKS, BILSTON
Read the history
of Thomas Perry
JOHN PICKEN, BRAY STREET, WILLENHALL
|Brass padlock makers. Not in existence in 1921 or 1970.
Existing in 1953. Nothing else known.
PICKERSGILL-KAYE LTD, 84 SOUTH ACCOMMODATION ROAD, LEEDS
|See Joseph Kaye and Sons Ltd, (q.v.) who were established in 1864.
C. H. PINSON, RELIANCE WORKS, MOAT STREET,
Charles Henry Pinson Snr was born in Willenhall in 1846
and set up as a lock latch and key maker. He is known to have been working in 1876 at 23
Cannon Street and in 1888 in Moat Street. In the 1881 census return Charles lived at
2 Moat Street and is listed as a padlock maker, employing 6 men and 6 boys. He had
two sons, William Morley (b 1873) and Charles Henry jnr (b Cannon Street 1875), who almost
certainly would have worked for their father.
By the time Charles Henry Pinson jnr was 21 years of age he had
established his own business, C.H. Pinson Junior. The "Junior" was to
avoid confusion with his father. In 1913 Charles junior purchased the firm of John
Minors (q.v.) in Union Street and when his father died in the same year he took control of
his business interests. From then on the company address seems to have been Union
Street. In 1916 he bought a controlling interest in the firm of Beddow and
Sturmey. In 1919 he was elected to the Willenhall Urban District Council, he became
a local JP and he died in 1934. The business was incorporated into Heenan Beddows and
Sturmey (q.v.) in 1937. (ref. Street Names of Willenhall)
ENOCH PINSON LTD, DALE WORKS, DIMMINGSDALE,
They were founded in 1876 in Newhall Street, but it is
thought that they existed long before this date. In 1878 they were at 95 Newhall
Street and sold goods to J. Hodson (The Lock Museum have a copy of an invoice.)
In1888 they were at Dale Works.
Enoch Pinson (1840-1900) lived at 61 New Road, Willenhall (in 1999, a
dentist's). Enoch was the first person to be buried in Bentley cemetery. (Horace
Between 1895 and 1901 a number of patents (12361, 16064,
24546) were taken out by E. Pinson and also F. W. Pinson trading as E Pinson.
Enoch Pinson (1840-1900) was the grandfather of Mrs R B Stone,
"Dunley", Bovey Tracey, Newton Abbot, Devon. TQ13 9PW. (She wrote to the Lock
Museum in 1995)
The greater proportion of their output was the manufacture of brass
pin tumbler padlocks.
||This letterhead (provided by Trevor Dowson) is
dated 1958. The directors are given as B.B.Pinson and
R.I.Pinson; and they not only make locks and keys and hasps and
staples, but also metal smallwares and they undertake light
|In 1976 they were run by Mr Dear. They were taken over for a short
period by Mr Jordan and his son, who lived at Cheltenham. They were taken over by
Delaphena Honing Ltd of Cheltenham in October 1989, and became a division of Security
Engineers plc who also owned Securefast (q.v.). As the works of Pinson and Securefast were
next to each other they were combined into one manufacturing unit, although continuing to
sell under both the SECUREFAST and PINSON names.
advert from 1950
W. M. PINSON AND SON LTD, HOLDFAST WORKS, CEMETERY ROAD, WILLENHALL.
Run by William Morley Pinson, the son of CharlesHenry
Pinson snr. The premises were on the corner of Moat Street and Cemetery Road.
They were manufacturers of brass and iron padlocks.The company is shown in trade
directories as existing in 1921 but not 1914. Could it be that William left C H
Pinson and set up on his own when his father died?
|In the 1950s took over Banks & Rushton (qv). Existing in 1974.
Taken over by J. Legge and Sons Ltd in 1970s.
|Return to Locks and Safes
||Return to the list of makers