SAUNDERS AND HADDON, STRINGERS LANE, WILLENHALL
||Manufacturers of motor slam locks, railway carriage and budget locks,
rim, dead, mortice and ship lock makers. Founded about 1885, they
continued to make the same kind of locks and latches as made by R.
Saunders, Doctors Piece, Willenhall.
Existing in 1948 when the proprietor was Robert Saunders, but not in
1970. Nothing else known.
SYDNEY FRANK SANDERS, 77 FIELD ROAD, BLOXWICH
Lock and bag frame manufacturer. Established prior to 1819.
Frank Sanders (1904-1991) was the last member of the family to run the
business. (LMNL No 13)
SIDLOCK LTD, FARNHAM TRADING ESTATE, FARNHAM, SURREY
||Originally Sidleen Ltd, who manufactured a cylinder lock.
By 1991 they had moved to Horsham, West Sussex, where they
manufactured cam locks, switch locks and filing cabinet locks.
There were also locks they had made in the Far East to supplement their
JOHN SAWBRIDGE AND SON LTD, 127 BLOXWICH ROAD, WILLENHALL
||They were in existence in 1909 manufacturing
mortice, rim, case,
asylum, mortice gate, park gate, South American, Portuguese and ship
locks. At that time they had been granted Royal Letters Patent.
Still in existence 1974, when they had a reduced range that also
|The advert (right), provided by Trevor Dowson, is
undated but, from its typography, must date from the later days of
SECUREFAST LTD, MEADOWDALE WORKS, DIMMINGSDALE, WILLENHALL
||Jack Appleton was a freelance salesman from Blackburn who at various
time represented the Erebus Manufacturing company and Arthur Hough and
Sons. In the late 1950s he set up manufacturing mortice locks with Stan
Davenport, the proprietor of H Davenport and Sons of Victoria Road,
Wednesfield, in Davenport's premises.
This did not last long before, in
1960, Jack formed his own company, Key Cutters Ltd., in Haley Street,
Lane Head, where he made a range of mortice locks. During this time he
set up a factoring company selling locks, keys and lock furniture, run
from the same premises. It was named M. D. Appleton. This was using his
wife’s name, who at this time ran both businesses while Jack was out
on the road looking for business. As the business grew, they outstripped their Haley Street premises and moved into larger works in
Croft Yard in Willenhall. In about 1970 both companies moved into larger
premises in Dimmingsdale and shortly after the factoring business was
closed down. Between 1972 and 1974 they changed the name to Jack
Appleton (Willenhall) Ltd and started to sell under the SECUREFAST brand
Following the death of Jack Appleton in November 1987, the company
was purchased by Honing Equipment of Cheltenham and in March 1990 they changed the
name to Securefast. They later purchased Enoch Pinson (q.v.), the
padlock makers who were in premises next door, and now run the works as
one unit, although still selling under both names. The firm is run by
Paul Crenshaw, who is a relation of Jack Appleton's second wife, and who
joined the company in 1983.
Security Engineers plc was formed to run both companies when they
were bought from the group, with Mr David Sebire from Gloucester as
major shareholder, together with Mr A Reid and J Morrall as Company
In March 1998 they took over the padlock business of Willenhall
Engineering (Stockwell Industries) i.e. Old English type, to add to
their Pinson range.
In March 1998 they employed 55 people and sales were £2,195,045 for
the year. And the works covered an area of 22,000 sq. ft.
Paul Crenshaw left the company in April 1999 and was replaced as MD
by Duncan Crawley.
In 1999 the company launched ControlSoft. This is a joint venture
with a South African company, ControlSoft, which will distribute leading
edge network access control systems.
SECURITY LOCK AND SAFE CO LTD, HALEDANE, HALESFIELD,
In existence in 1972 and 1976. Safe makers who also made their own
locks. Part of the Mather & Platt group.
SERVICE ENGINEERING, 68 LICHFIELD ROAD, NEW INVENTION
Set up by Arthur Birch, Eric Hayward and Mr Green, a tool maker,
after the 2nd World War in premises that had previously been a cowshed
used by farmer Abe Tarbuck, in New Invention, opposite the Co-op. They
made padlocks with a flat key and combination padlocks. The
padlocks were sold
to Willen Key Co Ltd at Willenhall, which at that time was being managed
by W H (Billy) Deering (Padlock Harry).
They did not last very long. (Harold Fletcher). In existence
in 1953 Kelly’s Directory. Not in existence in 1970. Nothing else
ARTHUR SHAW AND CO LTD, DENVER WORKS, WILLENHALL
||Established in 1809. They manufactured mortice and cylinder locks at
premises in Gypsy Lane Willenhall. They also owned Shaw Foundry Co., who
produced such items as brass and iron castings of all descriptions,
including casement stays and fasteners, bed fittings and mattresses
In 1935 they employed between 700 and 800 people. About 1968 they
ceased production as their equipment and methods became outdated.
They then became more of a factoring company, specialising in the
supply of security and safety fitting for windows and doors in 1996.
They re-organised under the name of Arthur Shaw Manufacturing Ltd and
moved to premises at No 1 Rose Hill Willenhall, the site of their former
The Gypsy Lane premises were sold to Josiah Parkes Ltd, who
moved one of their manufacturing units to the site and named it Tame
Works. Parkes moved out c1990 and in 1992 Workspace Ltd converted the
works into offices and workshops for rent.
advert from 1950
||advert from 1912, kindly
provided by Trevor Dowson.
|This letter head, provided by Trevor Dowson, is
dated 1954. The letter itself is about a price increase in
Builder's Ironmongery. Many lock making companies also
made door furniture and the like. Arthur Shaw was only
different in that it ran the two operations as separate
JOHN SHAW & SONS LTD., WOLVERHAMPTON
||John Shaw & Sons was a large company which
acted as wholesalers of a wide range of tools, some of which they
manufactured themselves but many of which they bought in
from other makers. (For further information about the
company, click here).
They are not known to have been the actual manufacturers of any
|The lock shown above is an iron plate lock on
oak. It carries the two labels shown to the
The top one is for John Shaw & Sons. The lower one
is for John B. Banks, ironmongers, of Cockermouth, Cumbria.
|But neither Shaws nor Banks were the makers of the
lock. Shaws would have bought in the lock, probably from a
Wolverhampton or Willenhall maker, and have added their own
badge and then another for Banks, the retailers.
||The premises of J. B. Banks Ltd. in Cockermouth
are shown in the photo (left).
The company was founded in 1836 and, although locksmiths,
they were not lock makers. The shop is a modern
ironmonger's shop but retains a traditional facade and
The current Mr. Banks (to whom we are indebted for
information and permission to take these photos) has a large
collection of old locks.
Shaws are included in this Gazetteer as an interesting
example of the problems in identifying the maker of a particular
FRED SHEPHERD, HEATH WORKS, CLOTHIER STREET, WILLENHALL
Advert (undated) from Trevor Dowson
|Manufactures of brass and iron padlocks. Fred Shepherd was born in
1906 and, like his father, George (died 1945), started in the lock trade as
he left school. He worked at Lowe and Fletcher Ltd. and later joined his
father at Clifford Bros. in Villiers Street.
In 1930 they decided to
"have a go on their own" and manufacture brass and iron
padlocks, under the name of "Shepherd", in a shed at their home
in Regent Street. Business was good and the family moved to live at 163
Clothier Street in 1933.
Again they used a shed as their workshop.
house next door had been used by a doctor and had had a surgery built on
to it. This became vacant in 1937. This provided the opportunity to move
to better premises and later in the same year F. Shepherd Brass and Iron
padlocks moved out of the shed and into the "surgery". It was
simply moving next door. Work expanded to fill the new premises and this
became known as Heath Works.
Frank Shepherd retired in 1971 and Heath Works closed. He died in
1999. (LMNL No 14)
Locks and Safes
the list of makers